Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grossmith's Nobody

The Diary of a Nobody - George & Weedon Grossmith


The blurb at the back of the copy I have is correct in saying that the novel is a "source of delight" and George Grossmith was probably "unaware that he had produced a masterpiece". A very easy read of 168 pages, The Diary of a Nobody makes me smile every time I pick it up and flip through a page at a time.


The book is essentially as the title suggests, the entries of a diary belonging to a man called Charlie Pooter; no one famous, special, especially unique or different. If anything, he is what I imagine mediocrity and 'normality' to be. Pooter made me laugh with his silly puns and statements but what is great about the novel is just how relatable it all is; the settings, the characters, the events and the emotions. 


I could be artsy-fartsy and analyse the themes and the book being a microcosm of society's middle-class but that's perhaps a bit insane, so I'm going to be normal, and say I liked the book.


It being a Wordsworth copy also made me happy because it looked nice. 


Do I recommend it? Yes
Would I read it again? Probably
Out of Five? Four

No comments:

Post a Comment